Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Hi June. Bye June.

June just sort of happened. When the weather is great and you have every weekend planned, the weeks just sort of mesh into one long day. 

JUNE 22 (Friday): TGIF! Friday will always be my favorite day of the week. Whether I'm the one learning or doing the educating, the weekend can never come soon enough. One Friday after classes, the teachers and staff gathered in the cafeteria to eat abalone and scallops(?) with watermelon and beverages. It sounds like an unappetizing combination and an unusual after school snack (Anyone heard of pizza?), but you can never go a day without seafood in Jeollanam-do. I don't know the retail price of abalone and scallops, but I'm pretty sure we casually feasted on hundreds of dollars worth of seafood as if this happens all the time. It was unbelievable. Abalone that big should be held in captivity. The abalone felt rubbery and hardly stretched from its pearly white shell. It also contained a salty, green sack. Not sure what it was, but it was gross. What was the other thing? Scallops? I don't know. I could only stomach 2 abalones and maybe 3 scallops before I lost my appetite. The watermelon, on the other hand, tasted juicy and sweet. I'm pretty sure I've had the best watermelon in Korea!

Plates upon plates of gigantic abalone with fresh chilis & garlic slices
What are those on the right? Scallops?
JUNE 28 (Thursday): "Am I the only one who works in this family?" I came home and dined on veggie burgers on garlic toasted buns with lettuce, tomato, cheese, sauteed onions, and tater tots. Ade and Joanne both had a day off, so they made themselves useful (partially kidding) and cooked dinner. The burgers were delicious, and the garlic toasted buns and cheese added a nice touch. Joanne and I were so stuffed after that ... but that didn't stop us from sharing a green tea patbingsu at Angel-In-Us Coffee afterwards. Then we were really stuffed.


Garlic toasted buns

Home-made veggie burger -- YUM! Thanks guys!
Green Tea Patbingsu @ Angel-In-Us Coffee
JUNE  30 (Saturday): Joanne, Nari, and I planned a surprise birthday party for our friend/coordinator, Joo. We created a private Facebook event and invited everyone from the province out for dinner and drinks in Mokpo. Dinner consisted of kamja tang (감자탕), potato stew with pork spine, vegetables, kimchi, and spices followed by green tea chiffon birthday cake. About 24 people attended our event, which was a decent number of people granted the torrential downpour and the distance that some people traveled. With the help of someone from my school, I managed to get a special message projected in the Mokpo Sea Fountain Show ... but due to the weather, the show was cancelled. The message was going to read, "Happy Bday Joo ♥" proceeded by a spoken message and accompanied by the song, "Hey Jude" by the Beatles. On our last day of Gwangju orientation, our group had sung "Hey Jude" as "Hey Joo." It was a cute gesture.

Taking turns decorating the cake
My art major skills making a difference in the world

Dinner is served
kamja tang (감자탕): potato stew with pork spine & vegetables
Cutting the cake
Joo, Nari, me, Joanne
Meanwhile, the weather has been crazy. Every day I see the thunderbolt and question mark and never know if it's going to rain. We don't see much of the sun anymore. It's just cloudy and humid all of the time.

Thunderbolt + Question Mark = Scattered Thunderstorms
Thunderbolts: All day, everyday ... maybe?
I ate this for dinner one night:
Spicy chicken with glass noodles
Did I mention the drastic increase in mosquito bites? Below is a picture of Joanne's left arm. Homegirl gets bitten a lot at night.

Better sleep with one eye open, homegirl.
One day I woke up with a swollen right knee. There was literally a flaming hot knee cap on top of my actual knee. This has been my worst bite so far.

So itchy!
Pretty flowers a-midst trash. Mokpo is so ghetto.
Little Samsoon, aka Vidal Sassoon, biting on my fingers.
She's grown up a lot since she moved out of the rabbit cage.

No comments:

Post a Comment