Friday, July 13, 2012

The Final Stretch

July is dedicated to tying up loose ends, surviving the humidity, and squeezing in a few more adventures.

You would think that leaving Korea would be easy. Not emotionally, logistically. Okay, maybe a little emotionally, but I'll save that for another day. Anyways, I have a bank account here. A cell phone on a 2-year contract. A utility bill. A gas bill. I owe people thanks in the forms of dinner and cake. I'm trying to manage my expenses so that I can wire a fixed amount of money home, but still have enough to travel and spend quality time with friends. In the next two weeks, I need to terminate my cell phone contract, transfer my dinero, withdraw my remaining dinero, close my bank account, make sure that all of my bills are paid, and keep the accountant in check because I'm waiting on at least 4 more deposits. My apartment needs to be "inspected" to ensure that I didn't damage the deskless cubicle that I live in. I'm starting to practice frugality. Who needs to grocery shop when I can eat leftover beans? There's a lot of waiting involved. I can't transfer my money until I get paid. I can't buy my school a cake because I'm technically not leaving yet. I can't cancel my cell phone contract because I still need it. Blah blah blah. I'm not too worried.

Ok, the weather gods need to keep this humidity in check. The other day, we experienced 98% humidity in Yeongam. What does that even mean? All I know is that Korea has transformed into a sauna. Stepping out of the shower feels like stepping back into the shower. I may as well bathe in my bed and sleep in my sink.

I think the humidity is somehow responsible for the eczema on my eyelids. Over the past week, dry red patches have formed on my eyelids, which are 1.) itchy and 2.) not cute. I may be experiencing an allergic reaction to mold or bacteria, which no doubt must be growing in my classroom or my apartment. This humidity is a breeding ground for disaster.

Here are some photos from the first few days of July:


This is Samsoon, aka Vidal Sassoon. She lives on the corner down the block and is tied up outside of a restaurant. I stop to pet this Jindo dog 1-2 times daily, so she already recognizes my footsteps from half a block away. Hopefully this she won't be the next item on the menu...

My new Summer fragrance: Musky Menthol, mosquito itch relief. 


I emptied out a suitcase and shipped 2 boxes of my winter apparel back to America.

TIP: You can buy boxes from Korea Post. Box #6 (the largest box) can only be sent via airmail, which is significantly faster (a few weeks), but also more expensive than surface mail. I downgraded to two box #5's and shipped them via surface mail, which should take about two months. Fingers crossed that they don't get lost.


I found this June bug buzzing like a bumble bee outside of my window .
I snapped some photos from my bus ride to school. Look how muggy the weather's been lately. No bueno.

Yeongam is known for the annual Formula 1 (F1) Grand Prix
Ongoing construction on the Yeongsan River.
These structures remind me of the Two Towers in The Lord of the Rings
Yeongam hosts a lot of shipbuilding factories such as Husteel
Megaton shipbuilding cranes
Megaton shipbuilding cranes
Boat frames beyond the hedges
Then, there was the 4th of July. Ade invited Joanne and me to blow off some firecrackers in jovial celebration of America's 236th birthday. By the Mokpo shores, we met our friends, some light rain, and a cool ocean breeze. We were the only Americans in sight.

Shooting off the Roman candle firecracker by our apartments
Winnie spinning glow sticks
Joanne and I holding sparklers
♫ Baby you're a firework 
♫ Come on show 'em what your worth   
♫ Boom, boom, boom 
♫ Even brighter than the moon, moon, moon   
Happy Birthday, America!

Upcoming adventures? TaLK Farewell Reunion at the Yeosu Expo (July 5-6). Muju water rafting and ATVing (July 7). Boryeong Mud Festival (July 14). Last weekend get-togethers (July 20-21). Maybe some last minute shopping? I know I'm a little backed up on blog entries, but stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment