Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Hiking Wolchul Mountain

Wolchul Mountain (월출산) is located in Mt. Wolchulsan National Park and spans across Gangjin and Yeongam Counties. The name Wolchulsan means "mountain where the moon rises." Cheonghwangbong Peak rises to 808.7 meters and marks the highest point in Gangjin County.


A group of about 30 foreign language (English, Chinese) teachers set out on Saturday morning to hike Mount Wolchul. Most hikers only went to Cloud Bridge, which is about 1-2km from the parking lot. A handful of brave souls hiked ~3km to the peak. Joanne and I were 2 of them. "Let's go to the peak. We've come all this way. It can't be that far!"


Tired already, taking a break.
At this point, we are no where near the peak.
Endless stairs

Taking another break for a photo-op

Stopped by a waterfall on the way up
As we climbed higher, the view became more beautiful. Jagged rocks nestled in lush green foliage. Silhouettes of rolling hills and distant mountains overcast by haze on the vanishing horizon. In the nearer vicinity, we could see perfect rectangles of flat land allotted for agriculture. Jeollanam-do is known for its farmland, and there was no doubt about that from where we stood on Mt. Wolchul.




Cloud Bridge on the other side of the mountain
No one warned us about snakes!
6 Brothers Rocks






Almost near the peak. Hot & tired, but determined!
Finally at the top!

Panoramic view from the top of Mt. Wolchul
Panoramic view from the top of Mt. Wolchul


Champs!


Joanne & me with some fellow English teachers. 
We took a break to take in the scenery and rest our throbbing legs. Snacked on some granola bars and sipped on water, while conversing with some fellow English teachers, who intercepted us on the way up. Then we made our way back down. At the fork in the road, we could either hike back the 2.7km that we came or hike around the other side: 1.4km to Cloud Bridge, then another 2km to the parking lot. We decided to visit Cloud Bridge, a 52-meter suspension bridge that hovers 120-meters high. The second route proved to be more strenuous because 1.) we were already exhausted and 2.) the "path" of rocks & boulders climbed up and down.

I think I should emphasize how difficult this hike really was (especially non-hikers like Joanne and myself!) The trail consisted of endless rocks & boulders that only grew steeper and more challenging as the hike ensued. Some areas were so difficult that there were metal rails and/or thick ropes built in for hikers to hoist themselves over slick boulders, awkward gaps, and around larger stones. Bleary-eyed and light-headed, all I could feel was the dust and sweat-soaked sunblock caked onto my slowly-browning skin. Running low on bottled water and physical energy, Joanne and I realized on our way to Cloud Bridge that we overestimated our abilities to trek this mountain. The hike felt impossible!

Many grunts and "Si, se puede!"s later, we finally made it to Cloud Bridge.

It's like Korea's Golden Gate Bridge!
We did it!
The hike down the Wolchulsan was brutal. With every stride we took, we had to decide which rock would be the safest to walk on or the most advantageous step forward. Our legs wobbled like jell-o. Some rocks were slippery with gravel, so we clung to rails, ropes, and trees to give our legs a break. At times we felt like Tarzan swinging from tree to tree.

Seafood pancake (해물 파전) and strawberry ice-cream never tasted so good. Joanne and I sat with some other English teachers outside of a restaurant at the base of Wolchul Mountain. That night we also treated ourselves to a Caffe Tiamo banana split with chocolate & strawberry gelato. Delicioso!

Banana split from Caffe Tiamo with chocolate & strawberry gelato
When I woke up on Sunday, my legs felt like they had been run over by a train. I couldn't move them, much less get out of bed. Laying down on my back was uncomfortable because the bed pushed into my calves, while resting on my stomach hurt because the mattress put pressure on my quads. I couldn't bend my knees because that movement would flex my quads. I couldn't bend my toes because that motion would stretch my calves. I could barely sit down on the toilet (because that required me to bend my knees) and ended up stumbling around my one-room apartment room like Barbie with a stick up her butt. It was a beautiful day, but there was no way I was leaving my room.

Luckily, Monday was a public holiday: Buddha's Birthday. I wandered out of my apartment for the first time since Saturday to read outside with Joanne.

What fine intellectuals!
Taking the stairs and shuffling over small inclines was painful. We waddled around like the old folks that we see in Mokpo everyday. I iced my legs and applied pain patches, so they feel a lot better. Just in time for tomorrow's provincial cultural trip to ...

... wait for it ...

JEJU!!!!!

My friends and I have waited anxiously for this trip, and now it's finally here! 3 days, 2 nights all-paid vacation to Korea's Hawaii. We don't even have to make up our work hours. Our 1-hour flight departs late tomorrow morning from Gwangju Airport. Can't wait!

No comments:

Post a Comment