Monday, April 2, 2012

Hello April!

It's Monday night. It just started raining. And I'm eating a choco pie.

Classes were fairly easy today. I didn't have to take roll because the home room teacher didn't leave me with an attendance sheet for April. She'll probably have one printed out by tomorrow. I occupied my 1st graders with a worksheet packet on the letters A and B. Man do they struggle. I accidentally excused them 10 minutes early because I confused their class with another class, which tacked on an extra 10 minutes to my break. buahaha. 

My 3rd and 4th graders went wild because we played their favorite game: The Angry Birds Game. It's basically a PowerPoint activity where teams take turns answering questions hidden behind panels labeled with letters from the alphabet. If the student answers the question or identifies the picture correctly, then they move onto a slide with pictures of Angry Birds or green pigs. Angry Birds = points. Green pigs = minus points. If the student doesn't know the answer, then we return to the main screen. It's so simple, but it makes the kids so competitive. Today the girls' team chanted the word for "pig" in Korean hoping that the boys -- who were winning -- would lose a point. Whether a team wins or loses a point, this age group is in an uproar. It's nuts.

I repeated the same lesson with my 5th and 6th graders. They appeared less enthused because they are older, but they still looked mildly entertained. I excused them 5 minutes early because we breezed through the lesson pretty quickly.

Here are some photos of my students. I'm getting better with names, mostly because I use that information to focus the direction of my yelling -- "종표 (Jongpyo), sit down!!!" "이민혁 (Lee Minhyuck), put that away!!!":

1st graders: Yunseo, [gah, I forgot], Jihwan
More 1st graders: That one in the front NEVER listens.
2nd graders: I gave them English names, so I know them as Brad and Jack.
2nd Graders: Alex, Brad, Jack, Peter
----------------------------------------------------------

Cafeteria food!
It's seriously the best Korean food I've ever eaten and these kids eat it every school day.




Yep, those are fresh strawberries!
Cafeteria lunch on the day that parents came in to meet the homeroom teachers:
떡국 with fish, sticky rice, kimchi, and melon
 Maple Latte at Coffee Meal -- Best latte in town!
Chicken burger & spicy fries at Kunichi BurgerThe fries were hot! 
Pork dinner at 원할머니 in Mokpo
Home made fried rice with stir fried organic green bell peppers, organic kale, and organic carrots :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment